Creating motivation and establishing discipline in the business is not easy, because it requires managers to have leadership skills and insight to motivate employees. Therefore, BEMO will help companies solve the above problem in this article with simple motivational and discipline suggestions in the organization.
1. How to motivate employees?
For employees to work hard and devote themselves to their work, the business must have a catalyst to their emotions. So, try the following:
- Work must be meaningful – According to a survey, 29% of employees consider the work they do to bring value to be the biggest motivator for dedication, and only 25% do it for money, 17% prefer recognition. Therefore, businesses must provide clear goals and vision for employees to see that their efforts are worth it.
- Continuous Communication – To achieve the set goals, companies and department heads need to communicate continuously with employees about the application method such as new technologies, new processes, or improvement strategies. Employees need KPIs to strive for, as well as be evaluated every month to show them how much effort they need to achieve the goal.
- Clear job description – For employees not to be confused and work superficially, management must provide specific job descriptions and expected results, such as using metrics, stars, etc. for easy statistics, comparison, and evaluation, etc.
- Do not blame heavily – During the working process, it is difficult for employees and specialized departments to avoid mistakes, so leaders should not use hateful words. Since this demoralizes employees, show a shared attitude and work out a solution together instead. For example, the salesperson makes a mistake in an order, the management should not be angry, ask “Who made this mistake?”, but should say “this mistake now how should we solve it? ?” so that the employee causing the error dares to make suggestions to correct the mistake.
- Giving trust – Employee’s self-esteem is very high, and they will work hard if they know that the leader believes in them. Therefore, leadership should give them the authority to decide on the new challenging project they will seek to complete. However, if it does not succeed as expected, the leadership should be ready to face it and not angry, but help employees draw experiences through those failures. This is a great way to motivate employees to work enthusiastically.
- Recognition of achievements – It is undeniable that employees still like to be recognized for achievements after achieving the set goals. Therefore, businesses should have material or spiritual rewards to motivate employees to try harder. Be fair in doing this, by setting specific measurable and measurable criteria.
- Create opportunities for teamwork – Creating cohesion between members is also a powerful way to motivate employees to work. Because they need to coordinate and help each other to complete the task. This creates a friendly environment and stimulates the ability of employees.
2. Discipline must be in work
When it comes to discipline, two types of discipline exist in an enterprise: compulsory discipline and voluntary discipline. Detail:
Compulsory discipline: This is a controlled and mandatory discipline from the organization, and the purpose is for employees to work effectively and avoid mistakes. This type of discipline requires the organization to have close supervision of employee activities. If discipline is too strict, it can easily lead to hatred, resentment, and increased intention to quit.
Self-discipline: This is the highest form of discipline expression. It is based on mutual trust between leaders and subordinates. With this form, employees will be responsible for supporting the organization’s overall goals and bring a positive spirit to everything. To establish voluntary discipline in an organization, businesses should:
- Have a clear, fair, and realistic policy for employees to easily grasp.
- The principles and standards of the business must be followed by all employees.
- The organization needs to be flexible to change the rules that the majority is not satisfied with or affect the work of the collective.
- Clear punishment when members of the organization make mistakes based on corporate policy, this will create a corporate culture that complies with regulations.
- Enterprises must have a dedicated department to answer the company’s policy because many employees respond more slowly.
3. Should a combination of motivation and discipline increase performance?
It would be great when businesses can combine these two forms to boost employee productivity. Because motivation is the catalyst for employees to work hard, discipline is the ability to maintain that enthusiasm.
Common adversity when businesses or management only motivate employees in the form of motivation, they will become less productive later on. The reason is the mentality is loose, and relying on previous achievements should not make more efforts to have new achievements.
The same goes for discipline, if the manager is too strict according to the policy, the employees will be discouraged because they feel not trusted, and lack the motivation to strive.
Therefore, managers should flexibly combine physical and mental motivation, and at the same time apply discipline at work so that employees can work properly and effectively to achieve goals.
The above are simple ways to build discipline and motivation in the business, which management can consider given the current size. Hopefully, the article will bring helpful knowledge to solve human resource problems for businesses, and please continue to follow BEMO to update more knowledge.