Most businesses do not sympathize with employees who are often late for any reason, and this action has a significant impact on the organization. Let’s deepen the tardy issue of personnel with BEMO and explore “excellent way” how to help improve the situation.
1. Employee’s reason for tardiness
There are thousands of excuses when employees are late to not affect their interests. But if the delay becomes “always”, it is a lie. The root cause is due to:
- Do not know time management – There are two cases: an employee does not know the timing or they do it on purpose. This job requires employees to manage time from home to work, and problems may arise during that time such as car breakdown, running out of gas. According to a study, subjects who are late usually see 1 minute as 77 seconds, and conversely, people who are always on time will see 58 seconds or 1 minute. In short, they do not value their time, the organization.
- Lack of responsibility – Employees always late are often irresponsible in their work, as well as in their own lives. They can be affected by the environment, and being late is so ingrained in their subconscious mind that the rules make no sense. Remember that a responsible employee will find a way to correct the first mistake so that it doesn’t happen again, rather than keep making it.
- Management does not set an example – When management is late, employees also can be like that, and inadvertently form habits that are difficult to correct in the organization. Their mistakes are not punished because their superiors can’t even follow the rules. Therefore, the direct boss plays a vital role in the behavior of employees to comply with company policies.
- Lack of punctuality culture – Imagine, if a team is late to work, who will arrive on time. It creates a “why must be on time” mentality for employees and eventually promotes tardiness of employees. Company policy and irresponsible leadership are responsible for this issue.
- A policy of superficial punishment – Although there is a notification policy that requires employees to be on time, it does not apply to the actual situation. Or if the employee is still late despite the penalty, the company should review the policy. Because if long, they will see the company as “shaking the tree to scare monkeys” and not improving
For these main reasons, it is enough for the specialized department to review internal operations and make timely adjustments.
2. Does always being late affect businesses?
Of course, the business will be affected in many ways when the number of late employees increases, and the consequences are:
- Low productivity:
When an employee is late, it takes time and delays the work progress. In addition, if they do not compensate for being late, they will reduce the work quality, because they do not have enough time to do it.
Besides, being late also affects the team’s work efficiency. Especially when the tasks need to be finished so that the following stages are not interrupted. Moreover, other people wait for the late employee to finish before they can continue. It affects the psychology of teammates, leading to low work results.
- Can lose potential customers
Especially service business. Imagine that in an appointment with a potential customer, your employee is late. Is this bad for your brand image? Do customers dare to give their projects to your company?
- Lack of internal cohesion
Exemplary employees will be annoyed because they will be disrupted or break their work pace, or even affect the quality of the group work. In addition, in large enterprises, the team has to bear the responsibility when employees are usually late such as salary cuts, bonus titles. It is the cause of conflict among members.
- Corporate culture influence:
“They can do it, I can do it”, lateness will spread and other colleagues can learn that bad habit if there is no discipline. The on-time culture of the business also went downhill because of that.
The great effects from being late will be the “spearhead” of breaking the management system in the long run, as well as employees becoming undisciplined and irresponsible.
3. Great way to never let employees be late
Correcting employee behavior is an urgent need to do from departments to bring about efficiency, and be flexible to apply many forms from light to heavy as follows:
- Warning 1-1: When the behavior is late 1-2 times a week, the management should allow the employee to explain the reason. Call them individually into the meeting room to discuss, and correct the delay. If subordinates have reported being late in a meeting to their direct manager, they must flexibly coordinate and re-divide the work for absent employees.
- Handling and disciplining: Using documents to penalize the behavior of being late too much a month is very rational because it shows strict company regulations, not superficial. The staff also realized that their action was at a warning level, and needed to be improved. Therefore, businesses should have an intelligent timekeeping system, as evidence attached to the letter of warning, discipline, and employees will comply with the regulations more in the future.
- Downgrade / Fire – The final level of sanction is dismissal. Even if the employee still does not have goodwill to improve, and happens more often, or the lateness causes many consequences for the team, even though the enterprise has applied other disciplinary measures before. However, the company needs to ensure that it is properly prepared and meets the conditions for disciplinary action according to the current Labor Code.
At the same time, the specialized department should develop a policy on rewarding diligence so that employees make efforts to comply with regulations.
Today, talented managers build a management method that is no longer too formal, rigid, only focusing on discipline. If there is a lack of passion, a vague goal, or an unclear career path, employees will not work hard. As a result, they come to the office just to be present, which in the long run has more negative effects than if they did not come to the office.
You probably also realize that the most disciplined environment is when every employee is self-disciplined. So how to create motivation and how to apply discipline effectively? Please continue to follow BEMO for more updates.