Building a job assignment process is not easy, and especially for SMEs. However, BEMO will help businesses build a workflow with the simple steps in this article.
1. Why should you develop a task management process?
An assignment management process is a must for the board of directors and management, as they will monitor, evaluate, and resolve immediate “bottlenecks”. The benefits of building an assignment management process are as follows:
- Thoroughly limiting operational risks: In a job assignment process, each member’s tasks have been arranged and ordered, so the enterprise does not worry about overlapping and hard to control work.
- Improving efficiency: It is not difficult for businesses to realize that when there is a standardized process of assigning work on the same system, it will shorten the time of exchange, monitoring, and reminding. Or businesses can assign suitable work to the right people. Working efficiency is also improved.
- Ability to control and evaluate work efficiency: Do you have trouble assigning tasks, then taking notes to remind yourself? Or the headache of receiving tons of business messages from multiple workgroups? Or having difficulty evaluating employee performance? If all activities, job completion levels… show on one system, will the above problems still hinder you? For employees, it is also easy to check the completion of KPIs to allocate time and energy appropriately.
- Optimizing human resources and operating costs: From the benefits mentioned above, try to make a comparison between paying a higher initial fee than the salary fund spent for the control team. But in the long run, you will get a lot of benefits and even more cost savings.
- Enhancing competitive position: In the digital transformation era, when businesses have a professional job assignment process, it is easy to evaluate the efficiency of human resource use, the business position is also greatly enhanced.
So, businesses shouldn’t ignore building a standardized workflow, but how should it begin? Continue reading below.
2. Steps to build an effective job assignment process
To build an effective process, BOD must have many elements of governance, but it will be easier for businesses to refer to the five steps below:
Step 1: Define the to-do list
For more effective work results, each department needs to clearly define the work items of employees by week, month, and quarter because they will follow up, more closely on the assigned task. And based on this, management can also:
- Know which task the employee is doing?
- When will it be completed?
Step 2: Classification assigned to the right people
In process-scale enterprises with mid-range and above, the leaders should divide powers to head to work with subordinates. Because of that, they will monitor the results and receive reports from the specific object, instead of multiple data sources of personnel departments flock.
And businesses can consider applying the 5W-1H-5M model, specifically as follows:
- What – need to define specific job content
- Why – The goal to reach
- When – Time for the job to finish
- Who – Who is the main responsible, who is the manager, and which support department is required
- How – How is the work completed?
– 5M will include:
- Man (resource) – The business side needs to determine the qualifications, profession, experience of employees, and many other factors if necessary.
- Money – How much do the implementations need to be budgeted? And how is it paid?
- Material (required materials) – Need to determine the standard of components, or suppliers to support the work?
- Machine (technology/equipment) – Which technology should enterprises apply? Or which standard equipment is required to serve the job?
- Method (how to work) – How is the work implemented?
Step 3: Apply appropriate KPIs
Depending on the tasks of each department, the business can give suitable indicators since these indicators will be a measure of the department’s efficiency, the quality of work each employee has completed. Therefore, giving evaluation indicators will promote the organization to work more efficiently, as well as not waste resources based on the following factors:
- Unit of measurement applied
- What software and tools do you use to measure?
- What parts of the work need to be evaluated, and who is in charge?
Step 4: Clear direction on work goals
The company lacks business orientation will not be effective whatever the departments are talented. Because employees do not see the value that the work is assigned? Leaders have a bad assessment of their performance, which leads to discouragement and resignation. Therefore, businesses should give clear directions, and imposing work will be effortless.
Step 5: Report compilation
Assignment and excellent completion would mean nothing without a report, as it shows the results achieved by the department or employee for bonuses or warnings. Therefore, businesses need to have a person responsible for receiving reports and summarizing to transfer back to senior management.
However, this process is only suitable for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). When the scale grows, it requires the organization to have a management system like ERP to monitor all activities without any manual operations.
With the above basic steps, BEMO believes that you can build a proper and least expensive task management process. But if you find that the current model cannot be applied, think about ERP – the overall management system, and contact BEMO for advice.